Pinner Brass Band
The Pinner Brass Band had their first concert in 1882. From the literature that is available, and it appears to be quite sparse, the band was directed by Walter H. Beaumont who played the cornet. He was born around 1860 and died 1917. The Pinner Brass Band played around the area at various functions, and copies of some of the programmes are available.
On 14 June 1884 The Pinner Brass Band had an Excursion to Gerrards Cross: 'the bus started from Headquarters at 2.15 p.m. that day and went via Northwood, Batchworth, Harefield and Denham arriving at the Bull Hotel at Gerrards Cross at about 4.30 p.m. They played Quick March by Aurora, Polka by Estella and a selection by Erin and Valse by Summer Breezes. They played March in Scipio and others, marching to the Parish Church. Tea was taken around 5.30 p.m. and after tea the members of the band had free time until 7 p.m. when they played a further programme of music. They then finished the day with the National Anthem, before returning to Pinner around 8 p.m.'
The Secretary and Treasurer of the Pinner Brass Band at this time was Harry W. Boreham.
The next programme shows the Pinner Brass Band playing at the Parish Hall in Pinner on Wednesday 25 November 1885. Members of the Band on this occasion were: Mr J. Downing, Mr E. Lucas, Miss C. Hitchcock, Mr. G.L. Norton, Mr. J.P.Taylor and Mr W.H. Beaumont. A splendid concert in aid of the Pinner Brass Band.
On 25 July 1888 a programme of music was performed by the Band at the Primrose League Fete in Pinner. A variety of music, such as March 'Don Caesar' by Wallace, Fantasia by Bleger and Galop by Carl Keller was played. The conductor of this concert was Mr. George Watson and the Hon. Secretary and Treasurer was J. George Boreham of Waxwell, Pinner. The next programme shows the Pinner Brass Band at Barrow Point, Pinner on 7 July 1888, when the Band played a variety of pieces with cornet solo by Mr. W.H. Beaumont and euphonium solo by Mr. W.H. Boreham. Conductor was Mr. George Watson.
On Saturday 21 June 1890 the Band played a programme of music at the Hall in Pinner – cornet solo by W.H. Beaumont and conductor Mr. G. Watson.
Mr William Arthur Tooke was at that time involved in many different schemes. He was the President of the Pinner Brass Band and used this Band to entertain workmen engaged in the building of roads and various buildings in the area. Joseph Norton of Woodlands Cottage, Bridge Street appears in many of the concerts. He trained the church choir, the Brass Band and the Drum and Fife Band. He sang at all the concerts.
Around 1933 the Pinner Brass Band changed its name to The Pinner Silver Band. No one seems to know the reason for this change of name, perhaps it related to the types of instruments they played: Members of this were at that time:
Brass: Harold Beaumont and Dick Aslin
Euphonium: Eddie Carter and Eric Aslin
Tenor Horns: Archie Usher, Jack Wilshin and Bill Parslow
Trombones: Sid Usher, Percy Giles, Alf Rackstraw
Clarinet: R. Davies
Drums: Puck Bettle, Alf Goddard and Reg Hill
Cornet: Willie Carter, Philip Pratt, two Pratt Brothers, Bert Emery, George Pendry, George Hill, Ted Stephenson and Bert Campbell
Others were Frank Marsh, Tom Greatbatch, Percy Giles, Len Reddick, Yates, Ron Ellement and George Parslow
Bandmaster: Ron Beaumont
The Hill brothers were from Kingsley Road, Dick Aslin lived in Leighton Avenue and worked for United Dairies. The Ushers were from Chapel Lane.
They played at Donkey Derbys, Montesole's Garden Fetes, St Vincents, the garden of the Red Lion, Hoggs at the foot of High Street, on a camping holiday to Sussex and with the Hailsham Town Band. Band practice was as Wilshin's Farm and later in the new hut off the path from Waxwell Lane to Barrow Point. In winter it was mud all the way!
The Bandleader at this time, Ron Beaumont, lived at Honeysuckle Cottage — he was a bachelor. Harold Beaumont lived at Glastonbury Cottage in Waxwell Lane with his wife Ida who was a local Cub Mistress. Eric Beaumont, a cousin to Harold and Ron, also had a Band but this was for dancing. He was connected with the wheelwright business that was near to the Queens Head. George Beaumont had the little newspaper shop next to the Parish Hall.
The Beaumont family had the care of all the instruments in Waxwell Lane. Mr. W.H. Beaumont's sons Harold and Ron started the Scout movement and it was known for a while as the Scout Band and they always played at any function in uniform. The 1st Pinner Troop of Scouts was quite strong: - Rovers (over 18) - Scouts (over 7) - Cubs under Mrs Ida Beaumont. Likewise the Guides - Rangers, Guides and Brownies - a very large troop. When they were old enough to join the Scouts, they could join the Band and Ron Beaumont gave everyone lessons at Glastonbury Cottage.
The Parslow family were also connected with the Band as can be seen by the lists and Eddie Carter from Crossways, Pinner Green was the Secretary. Len Riddick and Ron Ellement were both of Pinner Green. The Band also practised at Beaumont's works at 27 High Street.
There are some references to the Pinner Silver Band over the years in the local newspapers in the 1930s. Mainly short mentions at various functions especially each November at the Remembrance Day parades.
In May 1937 - Coronation Day Celebrations - the Band fulfilled an important whole-day engagement at Harefield. There was a short service and the Band played the chosen hymns followed by a variety of pieces suitable for the occasion. The Band led the procession in the afternoon, around the village and through the sanatorium grounds. Light music was then played throughout the afternoon ending the day by providing music for dancing.
The Harrow Observer and Gazette on Friday 18 Nov 1938 mentions the Pinner and District Representative Parade at the War Memorial in Pinner and the Service of Remembrance and Dedication in the Parish Church. The Parade was led by the Pinner Silver Band under the bandmaster R.H. Beaumont. This Band led the Remembrance Day Parade in Pinner each year.
In 1939 World War II broke up the Pinner Silver Band as most of its members were called up to serve their
Jackie Smith - Pinner Local History Society Newsletter 91 - Summer 2003