Archived Histories of Brass Bands 
    
 
Bands Directory   |   Events   |   Products & Services   |   People   |   Organisations   |   Reference   |   About IBEW   |   Contact
 


This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.



Yeadon Old Band

There have been many changes in Yeadon across the past 150 years, both in its industrial and social life, but amid all the changes the township has had its Brass Band. Formed in the year 1850, it was first organised by William Hudson and William Taylor. Bandsmen in those early pioneer days had to purchase their own instruments, so that invariably the value of the instrument matched the means of the performer. In 1862, the band was re-organised, and some ten years later an effort was made to procure more efficient instruments. This resulted in the purchase of four from Mesgham & Co. in Manchester. Later other instruments were obtained, but in precuring them a few at a time from different makers meant that the tone was never quite equally balanced. It was then in 1900 that an entire new set of electro plated instruments were purchased from Boosey & Co at a total price of 220.

In the earley days the band rehearsed in the old school which stood oposite the Yeadon Town Hall, this however was later pulled down in 1880. It then rented rooms at Well Hill, for about ten years and then at the Yeadon Trades Hall. Since then a number of small rooms have been rented in the area. As far as I am aware the band has never owned its own band room.

From the records of the band it shows that there are strong family connections of many of the players. In the early days the fathers and sons would often play together. There is no mention of any ladies playing until more recently.

In 1950 the Yeadon Old Brass Band claimed the title of Prize Band. Under the conductor of Mr Walter Jackson the band had won thrity-seven prizes, including eleven trophies and prize money to the value of 200.