This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Woodhouse Prize Band
Woodhouse Prize Band was formed in 1853. The Band was originally called Handsworth Woodhouse, but soon became Woodhouse Band when the two parishes split. The "Prize" was added after winning many contests. We even beat Black Dyke Mills, albeit in the late 1800s!
Shortly after the Band was formed, a family named Cook moved into the village. They immediately got involved in the Band and William Cook became Bandmaster. He was followed by four generations of Cooks each taking up the position.
Graham Cook had been conducting the Band since 1974. Finally, in 2010 he handed the baton over to our current Musical Director, David Morris. David's connections with the Band go back many years. Woodhouse was the first Brass Band he ever played with back in the 1980s.
We are very proud of being a village Band. We are totally self supporting and receive no sponsorship of any kind. The Band has a committee overseeing the day to day running.
In 2003 the Band celebrated their 150th Birthday. It was a year long celebration and certainly one to remember. To commemorate the occasion, Graham Cook wrote a book "Woodhouse Band - the first 150 years". Copies are still available.