This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Treherbert Band is one of the longest established bands in the South Wales area. Historians believe it was originally the Treherbert Drum and Fife Band, in existence around 1897, which was the forerunner to today's band. It was however the brass band set up by the miners of the Glenrhondda Colliery which really put Treherbert on South Wales' musical map.
Glenrhondda was opened in 1911 by the Glenavon Garw Collieries Limited, a member of the South Wales Coal Owners association, and was served by the Rhondda and Swansea Bay railway. It consisted of two levels a slant and a pit and during its lifetime employed anywhere between 200 and 500 men, producing both house and manufacturing coals.
After nationalisation the colliery was placed in the National Coal Boards' South Western division's, No.3 Area, Group 4 and at that time No.1 and 2 pits had a combined manpower of over 450 men, whilst the No.2 level employed approximately 70 men. The no.2 level had closed by 1954 and the colliery as a whole was closed by the National Coal Board in 1966
Following the closure of the colliery, the band continued but was renamed the Upper Rhondda Band. It later changed its name to Treherbert & District Silver Band, Treherbert Band, and now finally to Treherbert & District Band.
Over the years the band has enjoyed many successes at the National Eisteddfod of Wales, the Mineworkers Open, the National Championships of Great Britain and the Welsh Regional Championships. During the 1990's the band gained promotion from fourth section right through to the elite Championship Section under the baton of Graham Shepherd, becoming Welsh League Champions in 2002, Welsh Regional Champions in 2003 and Runner Up Welsh Regional Champions in 2007