Archived Histories of Brass Bands 
    
 
Bands Directory   |   Events   |   Products & Services   |   People   |   Organisations   |   Reference   |   About IBEW   |   Contact
 


This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.



Rushden Mission Band

During the Christmas season of 1897, the Brass Band of the Rushden Salvation Army had a 'break' with the local Corps.They were asked to relinquish their uniforms and instruments, which they did. The ex-bandsmen were invited by the 'Tin Tabernacle' in Station Road to form a new band.Some bandsman were able to purchase their own instruments with the remainder being funded by the church. The band adopted its new church building as its headquarters and the RUSHDEN INDEPENDENT WESLEYAN MISSION BAND was born in 1898.

From 1898 - 1931, the band played weekly, at Sunday open air services as well as at occasional concerts in the park. They then decided to compete in contests to show that 'a Christian musical combination could stand up to trained efforts of other brass bands.' They enjoyed success at contests over the the next few years. They also made regular radio broadcasts until the start of the second world war.

Sadly, several of the players were lost during the second world war. This left the band with a depleted membership for a number of years. This did not deter the stalwart members of the band, who continued to meet, until eventually the numbers grew again.