Archived Histories of Brass Bands 
    
 
Bands Directory   |   Events   |   Products & Services   |   People   |   Organisations   |   Reference   |   About IBEW   |   Contact
 


This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.



Reeth Brass

At the turn of the 1800's it is believed that there were at least seven bands that had formed throughout Swaledale. These were the bands of - Arkengarthdale, Gunnerside, Keld, Low Row, Muker, Reeth Temperance, and Reeth Volunteer. All of these bands disbanded over time with the exception of Muker Band (which is still going strong today), and it wasn't until the 1960's that Reeth Brass Band formed to the band that is present today.

In 1968, Reverend Tindall (the new vicar appointed to Reeth) wished to provide suitable music for a Remembrance Service he was conducting and, being a brass band enthusiast, rounded up former band members from within the local area. Instruments were "dusted off" and a small band was created for the Service. Over the years, the band grew to become Reeth Brass Band and the rest "as they say" is History!