Archived Histories of Brass Bands 
    
 
Bands Directory   |   Events   |   Products & Services   |   People   |   Organisations   |   Reference   |   About IBEW   |   Contact
 


This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.



Portsmouth City Band

The band was first formed in 1939 as the Auxiliary Fire Service Band and was mainly for the recreation of the Firemen serving at that time.

In 1946 after reorganisation within the Fire Service, the band became known as the National Fire Service Area 14 Silver Band, being still an independent and wholly self supporting body. In 1951, after the introduction of the Fire Service Act, power was taken from the National Fire Service and handed back to Local Authorities. The band was then known as the Portsmouth City Fire Brigade Band, a title that the band retained until 1965 when due to the lack of uniforms etc and the fact that there were no firemen in the band, the Portsmouth City Band came into being.

The band grew in size, strength and status to such an extent that by 1969 consideration was given to forming a second band. At this time however, the majority of the band were coming up to retirement age, so instead the Portsmouth City Junior Band was formed. This was to further the knowledge of the younger members of the band with a view of them replacing some of the more senior members about to retire. The junior band was successful beyond all expectations, entering, and in many cases, winning contests and festivals.