Archived Histories of Brass Bands 
    
 
Bands Directory   |   Events   |   Products & Services   |   People   |   Organisations   |   Reference   |   About IBEW   |   Contact
 


This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.



Llanrug Band

The distinction of being the pioneer ,of the brass band movement in Caernarvonshire goes to the 1..lanrug band which was formed as early as 1830. In 1871 it came under the patronage of the squire of the Vaynol Estate, who was also the owner of the Dinorwic Slate Quarry. and was given the new title of Royal Vaynol Brass Band.

March 23rd, 1873, the bandmaster's son Robert, met with a serious accident in the quarry when he fell from the rock face over fifty feet, and later died. When the lady of Vaynol heard the news she bought a set of black uniforms for the band to attend the young quarryman's funeral, and a black ribbon was tied to each instrument.

When the quarrymen were unemployed during the 'lock-out' of 1885, an order was received from the Vaynol that all the instruments were to be returned immediately to Gilfach Ddu, Llanberis, for safe keeping while the men were out. The road to Llanberis was crowded with unemployed quarrymen, and the band was persuaded to play a march to cheer them up. As a result they lost the instruments for ever. The conductor at the time was an Englishman named Mr Tidswell, and he was paid a monthly wage of 10 from the quarry office. This was promptly stopped and he had to return to England to earn his living.