Archived Histories of Brass Bands 
    
 
Bands Directory   |   Events   |   Products & Services   |   People   |   Organisations   |   Reference   |   About IBEW   |   Contact
 


This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.



Indian Queens Silver Band

Indian Queens Band is an important part of the areas traditions and musical heritage. A respected band, it was founded in 1856 by local man Martin Strongman Kessell, who as well as being a well known musician worked for the Trelissick Estate as a game-keeper.

Martin was the first of many Kessells associated with the band and his great-great-nephew Ivan was president of the band in 1981 when the band celebrated it's 125th anniversary.

There have been many highlights in the history of the Band. These include winning the 'B' section at the West Of England Bandsman's Festival held in the village of Bugle 11 times (1912, 1913, 1938, 1953, 1956, 1960, 1961, 1964, 1965 and 1968) and competing at Crystal Palace in 1929. When it came 8th out of 23 bands.

In November 1937, it was also the first South West Brass Band to broadcast on the radio (or national wavelength as it was then known). In the late 1980s the band had a run of success which saw it gain entry into the National Finals in London in 3 consecutive years and it also took part in the Pontins Finals held in North Wales twice.

More recently, on 6th August 2005 the old Indian Queens Band Room was demolished by band members and helpers and in 2006 the newly built band room was ready for use holding it's first rehearsal on Thursday 20th July.

2006 was a busy year for the band, not only did they have themselves a new band room but also the band were celebrating 150 years since it was founded by Martin Strongman Kessell. On 14th April 2007 the official opening of the new band room took place being opened by local councillors Richard Cole and Andrew Waters. In February of 2008 the band appointed Cornish Composer/Arranger Kevin Ackford as their Musical Director. Since his appointment Kevin has been working on rebuilding the band and raising the standard of their playing.

During 2008 both the band and Kevin worked hard to put on entertaining concerts of good quality playing, and in April 2009 the band took part in their first contest in four and a half years and gained a very creditable 4th place. November 7th 2009 saw the band take part in the 63rd annual South West Brass Band Association contest held in Torquay where the band were awarded 3rd place out of a section of 8 bands.