This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Hesketh Bank Silver Band
Hesketh Bank Silver Band was formed in 1895 as a temperance band. Members of the village joined along with members of their family. The original instruments were bought from the neighbouring band in the village of Banks for only four pounds (the cost of one hymn book today). The bands original drum survives in the bandroom.
The 1950's saw the dissolving of the band as many players were called up for National Service, however, in the 1960's, under the direction of J.H. Hughes, the band regrouped and soon were know as the 'band to beat' in the local area. After the war the band changed to silver-plated instruments and subsequently changed to its current name; Hesketh Bank Silver Band.
Following many successful years, the band appointed Harry Bentham as Musical Director. Under Mr Bentham saw great success, with an outstanding performance at the Royal Albert Hall in London, and became National Champions of the 4th Section in 1985.
The year after qualified for the finals in the third section and came 7th. Harry took the band from obscurity to the second section. Well done Mr. Bentham, a really nice man as well.
Currently our M.D. is Mr. Stuart Pullin, a young man with plenty of expirience in top banding, as he has played with the famous Wingates Band, Marple and European and British Open Champions the virtuoso Yorkshire Building Society Band. The future looks good.
Through the efforts of its players and the committee the band continue to play a wide variety of concerts, walking days, village fetes and charity events.