This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Freckleton Band was formed in the year 1886. When in 1955, two surviving members of the original band, Robert Rawstrone (aged 89), and James Hawthornthwaite (aged 87), recalled that they and their friends 'used to meet in a cottage in Kirkham Road', and it was at one of these social gatherings that someone suggested forming a band.
Having managed to raise £50 to buy a set of second hand instruments, which according to tradition, 'were taken around the village on a hand cart to see if anyone was interested in 'having a go', they started to practice hard in a room above an inn in Bunker Street.
The earliest known outside public performance of the band was at the laying of the memorial stone of the new Primitive Methodist Chapel in August 1891.
On 10th December 1892, there was a band concert in the village schoolroom.
On 14th February 1896, the school was closed all day to allow the Freckleton Band the use of the rooms for a Sale of Work to be opened at 7-00 pm that same evening.
Unfortunately, our past history does involve a lot of sadness and memories that cannot be forgotten. The band still, to this day, pay respect to the tragic circumstances on 23rd August, 1944, when a B-24 Liberator Bomber Plane set off from Warton (the village next to Freckleton). The plane took flight in normal conditions but very soon hit a severe storm. The plane crashed into the village of Freckleton causing a devastating effect that is still remembered by the villagers, and the band, to this day.