Archived Histories of Brass Bands 
    
 
Bands Directory   |   Events   |   Products & Services   |   People   |   Organisations   |   Reference   |   About IBEW   |   Contact
 


This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.



Egremont Town Band

There are records of a military style band known as Egremont Volunteer band as early as 1887. The Egremont Volunteer Band loaned instruments from Frizington Town band. These were returned in 1904 and the Egremont Town Band Committee was officially formed in 1904.

In June 1904, the honorary secretary to the Egremont Town band Committee wrote to instrument makers Messrs Besson Ltd thanking them for the safe delivery of 24 new brass instruments purchased by the band committee. The instruments were put on public display in the window of the Egremont Industrial Co-op Society, which was on South Street.

The first recorded engagement was on 24th June 1904 at the Gosforth Annual Sports Day playing from 2 O'clock in the afternoon until 8 in the evening. The band consisted of 24 players each with a new instrument. The cost to the Gosforth Sports Committee was to be 8 pounds. This would be reduced to 7 pounds if tea were provided. The Sports Committee was assured that the band was considered to be one of the finest in the county and that it's bandsmen would give the utmost satisfaction on the day.