Archived Histories of Brass Bands 
    
 
Bands Directory   |   Events   |   Products & Services   |   People   |   Organisations   |   Reference   |   About IBEW   |   Contact
 


This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.



Cromer & Sheringham Brass

In around 1923 the Sheringham Temperance Band was formed with Mr. Henry Grice of Sheringham as the founder member of the group. The Cromer Band started life as a Boys Band in the late 1940's by the local branch of TOC.H with Mr. Henry Bishop as Bandmaster/Conductor.

Cromer Boys Band

The first recorded minutes are of the Sixth Annual General Meeting held in 1954. In it the Secretary Mr. Fricker said how happy he was that the Cromer Band had "hung together" for the last six years. (Which puts the Date of the formation of the Band at 1948)

On Sunday 28th November 1954 the Cromer Boys Band and the Sheringham Temperance Band appeared together for the first time at the Cromer Town Hall to perform a Concert in aid of The Henry Blogg memorial fund. The combined Bands were conducted alternatively by bandmasters, Henry Grice (Sheringham) and Henry Bishop (Cromer). They played a number of different Selections plus Vocal And Instrumental solos, by collection they raised a total of 14 8s 6d (14:85) from a packed out house.

On 4th March 1955 Bandmaster Bishop stated that owing to the seemingly lack of interest by the members he wished to be relieved of his appointment as Bandmaster, and an extraordinary meeting was called on 9th March 1955 to discuss his resignation and to appoint a successor.

At this meeting the Chairman said he could not understand where the lack of interest came from as referring to the attendance register since Christmas the average attendance at practice had been around 70%. and on no occasion had it been under 50%. It was therefore decided that as the playing strength was now around 22 it should try to carry on under the Baton of Mr. Barrington Boyce.

In March 1956 at a General Meeting of the Band by a show of hands twelve playing members agreed to try and keep the Band "alive" under the conductorship of Mr. Barrington Boyce.

By July 1956 Mr. Henry Grice had taken over as Conductor bringing in most of the Sheringham players to fill the Ranks. At the 8th Annual General Meeting of the Cromer Boys Band the President expressed his gratification on the way the Bandsmen all rallied round Henry Grice (who by this time had been elected as permanent Bandmaster) and that there were now 32 registered members. The Secretary stated at this meeting that by Christmas 1955 the Cromer Band was so few in numbers that insufficient players could be mustered to do the usual Carol playing around the district, and it was only through the assistance of the Sheringham players that the Band was able to play the annual Carol Concert at St. Martin's Hall. At the Annual General Meeting on 20th November 1956 there were 27 members in attendance, three of these are still playing with the present Band.

The two Bands were finally brought together in June 1956 merging to form:

The Cromer and Sheringham Silver Band

The Merger was pioneered by Mr. Henry Grice who remained the resident Conductor up till 1983 when at that time he decided to retire and hang up his Baton at the age of 82 years.

After Henry Grice retired he was made Honorary Life President of the Band. Sadly Henry died in 1996 and the Band played the Hymns and some of his favorite pieces at his Funeral. On Thursday 29th May 1996 they joined with the Sheringham Salvation Army Band to play a Memorial Concert at the Salvation Army Hall.

In June of 1996 Mr. P K Sladden of Southrepps Hall accepted the invitation to become president of the Band.

On 1st January 2009 Sir Michael Savory of Muckleburgh House, Kelling accepted the office of Vice President of the Band.

Here is a list of past and present Musical Directors of the Band.

Up to 1984. Mr.Henry Grice
From 1984 to 1989. Mr.R.A.Scott
1989 to 1992. Mr C.Randall
1993 to 1995. Mr D.Notley
1995 to 1997. Mr. A.B.Grand
1997 to Sept 1998. Mr. B Kestner.
1998 to 2001. Mr.D.Simons
2001 to 2005 and again in 2007; Mr D.Gladman.
Mid 2009. Mrs. J Bussey.