This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Constantine Band was first formed way back in 1848, shortly after the 'Wheal Vyvyan Mine' was opened. Prior to the mines opening in 1827, Constantine had been a small village of around 20 houses all clustered near the Church. The first mention of a band in Constantine was in the Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser dated 18th July 1857.
Around 1887 the band had a change of name, being referred to as The Volunteer Band. The explanation of this name appears quite simple, after the episode with Russia in the Crinea and the trouble with India at the time of the mutiny, it was decided the army might serve over seas in increasing numbers and that the army at home should be bolstered by a reserve force, many of whom played in the band.
By 1908 after the formation of the Territorial Army the Volunteer Band once again became Constantine Band. It is believed that when the Great War broke out the band became involved with the Territorials and joined them.
When the war ended they once again reverted back to Constantine Band, which they have remained to this day, and were back in business playing at local functions like Regattas and Traditional Tea Treats.