Archived Histories of Brass Bands 
    
 
Bands Directory   |   Events   |   Products & Services   |   People   |   Organisations   |   Reference   |   About IBEW   |   Contact
 


This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.



Carlton Main Frickley Colliery Band

The South Elmsall Village Brass Band can be traced back to humble beginnings in 1884. In 1905, the band was adopted by the local Frickley Colliery, which in turn was to become owned by the Carlton Main Coal Company, and by 1923 the band became known by its present name. The reputation of the Band flourished and continued to build upon its reputation of being a first class outfit and one which not only rose to challenge the very best bands of the day, but become one of the best known and best regarded bands in the world.

Despite this great heritage, by the mid 1990s times looked very bleak for the band, as it did for a great many other bands and working personnel in the mining industry, with the eventual closure of the pits in the UK and with Frickley Colliery in particular. It was at this time due to the closure and subsequent unemployment that the band was down to only six members, and close to extinction. However, due to the tenacity and the desire of those remaining members, the band was rebuilt and in a few short years by 1999, became Yorkshire Champions and represented Yorkshire at the National Finals at the Royal Albert Hall in London.