This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Cleobury Mortimer Concert Brass
The first brass band in Cleobury Mortimer can trace it origins back to shortly after the turn of the twentieth century; it is this group of self taught men from the town, originally known as The Cleobury Mortimer Town Band, that have through one-hundred years of development become Cleobury Mortimer Concert Brass.
In the mid to late 1940's archives show that the band consisted of about eight experienced players, with new players swelling the ranks to around 18. In the early 1950's they had reached a high enough standard to take second prize in a competition at Madeley. At this time the band moved to their new practice room above the Old Fire Station, which served as the home of the band until sold in late 1981
During the 1970's when the band was known as Cleobury Mortimer Silver Band it used the linked letters CSB denoting Cleobury Silver Band as its logo, although it is unclear when this logo was first adopted it was used until 1984.
In 1984 the band started to receive sponsorship from the local engineering company Muller England Ltd. At this time the company was part of the Sphinx Group, and the band adopted the Sphinx logo as its own. As a result of restructuring at Muller, around the turn of the century the band adopted the new corporate identity of Muller England Ltd, and this served as the band's identity until 2005.
In late 1995 the band were fortunate to receive a National Lottery Grant through The Arts Council of England to the value of £28,432.00. This enabled the band to complete its purchase of Besson Sovereign instruments for valve instruments and Vincent Bach Stradivarius instruments for the Trombone section. The older instruments were then able to be handed down to learners and improvers.
During the years under the sponsorship of Muller England Ltd, the band continued to enjoy a period of growth. In the late 1990's, the band introduced the 'Prelude Band' to cater for persons with limited experience, furnishing them with the skills required to join the main band when appropriate. The Prelude Band has more recently become an integral part of the main band, and Junior Members are now taught to play in a brass band by being in a 'real' brass band supported by a more senior player.
At the end of 2005 the band moved to their new home of the Parish Hall in Cleobury Mortimer. At this time the band also took on its new image and identity being known as "Cleobury Mortimer Concert Brass" from January 2006.