This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Barnet Town Silver Band
The band was formed, as a Brass Band on the 31st January 1889 by the Court Pride of Barnet Foresters and was known as the High Barnet Foresters' Brass Band. Corporal Yeomans of the 7th Kings Royal Rifles Corps was appointed as its first Musical Director at the first committee meeting in February 1889. This appointment was not unopposed.
The band's first engagement was at The Green Man on March 18th 1889.
Mr George Byford on 6th March 1895 succeeded Corporal Yeomans as Conductor at a salary of 3/- (three shillings or 15 new pence) per week and he held this position until 1907. During his conductorship, the Band attended numerous contests and won many prizes.
Dr Osborne Boyes presented a new set of brass instruments to the band at a dinner held at the Star Public House in April 1898. These replaced the original 15 instruments, which were purchased new at a cost of £42/0/0 (forty two pounds). The bulk of the cost of these original instruments had been covered by a loan from Mr Emm.
In the same year, the Band entered the Fulham Brass Band Contest and gained First Prize, thus setting a precedent as, over the years, the Band has won over 150 prizes. About this time, the band was instrumental (oops!) in the setting up of the London and Home Counties Amateur Band Association, thus becoming a founder member.
By 1899, the band had been renamed as The Barnet Town Band, as can be seen on this receipt for the printing of 20 circulars by Barnet's Steam printer, E. S. Wheatley.
Mr Byford was succeeded in 1908 by Mr T. A. Cheek as Musical Director. Mr Cheek started as an instrumentalist in the band and his subsequent record as Director of Music was outstanding.
The Band took Second Prize at Bromley, First prize at Dartford and, perhaps most significant of all, the First prize at the Association Contest at Crystal Palace.
By 1921, the band was known as The Barnet Town Silver Prize Band, as described in this receipt for the loan of a band cornet by Alfred Richards.
Apparently the band did just about manage to survive and continue playing over the years of the Second World War.
1949 saw the Diamond Jubilee of the band which was celebrated with a concert at the Old Court House in Barnet.
In 1979, Mr Kevin Morgan, the Band's Musical Director, formerly a cornet player with the Band of the Scots Guards, changed the Band's name to Barnet Band – its present-day name.
Kevin Morgan left the Band in 1983 to take up a teaching post in New Zealand and the membership of the band fell to the extent that it was not possible to stage a viable performance.
Converted to a community wind band from 1984 onwards.