Archived Histories of Brass Bands 
    
 
Bands Directory   |   Events   |   Products & Services   |   People   |   Organisations   |   Reference   |   About IBEW   |   Contact
 


This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.



Billingham Silver Band

The band started its life back in 1941 as part of the Stockton Home Guard, its first conductor being Dick Mallaby. In 1943, Dick Freeland took over as Musical Director and in 1945 the band became known as the Malleable Works & Institute Band after the Home Guard Unit was disbanded.

1966 saw the band become known as the Billingham New Silver Band, the word 'New' being dropped in 1970. Dick Freeland retired as Musical Director after 30 years loyal service in 1972. It was then that the present Director of Music, Vaughan Evans, was asked to come off the cornet bench from Principal Cornet to take over the baton. He has been conducting the band ever since. We have only ever had the three Musical Directors in our bands history - that must say something about the dedication of our members!

1984 was the year that the band moved to the Norton (Teesside) Sports Complex and in 1995 we moved into a permanent, purpose-built rehearsal room of our own. This room is built onto the sports complex and came about with help from the Club Trust and a National Lottery Grant through the Sports & Arts Council.