Archived Histories of Brass Bands 
    
 
Bands Directory   |   Events   |   Products & Services   |   People   |   Organisations   |   Reference   |   About IBEW   |   Contact
 


This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.



Bedford (Leigh) Band

The Bedford (Leigh) Band was formed in 1875 by the parishioners of St. Thomas' Church Leigh. The band took it's original name from the church and was known as St. Thomas' Band Bedford. The first report of the band competing was in September 1884 at a contest organised by the St. Joseph's brass band also from Bedford, Leigh. The event was well reported in the both the Leigh Chronicle and the Leigh Journal with the band under their conductor, Mr. J Frost, claiming the third prize of 2. The first prize going to Atherton Volunteers and the second to Farnworth Public. On 1st December 1894 the band formally drew up it's constitution and registered with the Friendly Society under the name of The Bedford Church Brass Band.