This page is part of an archive of historical details from existing or defunct brass band websites. This is being maintained to provide a record of this information in the event of a band folding, its website disappearing or other loss of the historical record. Where possible, and appropriate, the information cached will be updated from time to time - and any corrections or updates are welcome.
Annan Town (Magnox North) Band
Annan Town Band was formed in 1901 (named The Lower Annandale Band in 1834 and Multitubular Brass Band in 1900). The band celebrated its 100th birthday in 2001 making it the oldest musical group in Annan. Later known as Annan Town (APD) Band
The band's history has been well documented. In the 1930's the band was reported to have played at Saturday night dances in the Albert Hall (in Annan, not London!) and also played at International football matches during World War II.
During its life the band has rehearsed in various buildings and in 1992 found a more permanent home in the Blue Bell Inn. In 1996 a grant of £20,000 from the National Lottery, added to the £7,500 raised by the Band itself, subsidised the purchase of 17 top of the range new instruments. In 2001 the band celebrated its centenary year and in July this year the band was delighted to announce a new sponsorship with "Magnox North Chapelcross" (formally BNFL Chapelcross).
The band has been under the musical reign of Mr David Shanks since 1990.